If you’ve just set a goal to return to work during 2017, how can you maintain your start-of-the-year determination, and not let it fade away like most New Year’s resolutions?
He identified 5 effective ways to boost your motivation …:
- Buy a new journal, or create a spreadsheet if you prefer, and start recording your plans and progress
- Set aside regular times each week to work on your job exploration
- Set achievable and practical weekly return-to-work sub-goals
- Decide what small rewards you will give yourself for achieving your sub-goals (avoid chocolate if getting healthier is another of your New Year goals!)
- Create your own return to work peer group to share your goals and to support each other. If you’re in the London area, you can join our London Women Returners Networking & Support Group (and let us know if you’d like start your own local Women Returners group). Use our Facebook group as an extra source of encouragement too.
Note: Updated version of previous post Jan 2015