Location: UK: London
Programme: 6-month returnship, part of the Diversity Project Cross Company Returners Programme
Start Date: September 2023
Apply by: 28 May 2023 (extended)
Mercer is partnering with the Diversity Project and Women Returners to offer two 6-month paid work experience returnships for an Investment Strategist and Client Consultant. As part of the Cross Company Programme the returnships will run from September 2023 to March 2024 giving real on the job experience. You would be part of a wider cohort of returners across the financial services / investments industry receiving Career Returner Coaching from Women Returners. To be eligible to apply for this role you will need to have on a career break for at least 18 months by the start of the programme in September 2023.
Mercer has been providing investment services to clients for 45 years and has the largest institutional investor network in the world with more than $11tn in assets under its advice. Their Delegated Solutions (DS) business leverages this investment expertise to deliver a range of sophisticated portfolio solutions to a wide range of institutional clients. They are one of the fastest growing investment solutions entities globally with c$350bn of assets under their implementation. The International Region encompasses 41 countries across Pacific, Asia, Middle East and Africa, Europe and Latin America.
What can you expect?
- This is an incredibly opportunity to work on a wide range of clients as a trusted advisor, engaging directly with trustee boards and other stakeholders and advisors
- Be part of a dedicated team that take on the responsibility delegated to Mercer for managing their client’s assets on a day to day basis, to deliver better outcomes for them and their primary beneficiaries – Mercer can achieve this by leveraging the scale, infrastructure and range of investment solutions available at Mercer
What is in it for you?
- 6-month fixed term contract with the potential for future career progression within a large stable corporate organisation
- Career Returner Coaching from Women Returners throughout the returnship
- Flexible Part Time / Full Time working with hybrid options available ideally with c2-3 days in London
- Competitive Benefits Package including: 25 days annual leave, up to 4 days of flexible bank holidays, excellent pension contributions, private medical cover, life assurance, income protection, employee assistance program, plus a range of flexible benefits including the option to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday per year, cycle to work, dental insurance, health assessments plus many more
Mercer will count on you to:
- Develop a deep understanding of client needs and requirements ensuring excellent client service
- Build relationships with key stakeholders associated with clients (trustees, sponsors, third party advisors)
- Manage client and project workflows to ensure that they are delivering to meet the needs of their clients
- Support lead consultants with client communications including strategy changes, asset class manager and structure changes, market updates, monthly client dashboards
- Collaborate on projects and become an expert on certain Mercer funds
What you need to have:
- A career break of at least 18 months as at September 2023. You may have been working on a part-time, or freelance, basis to fit around your other commitments, or you may not have done any paid work during this time
- Previous defined benefits or investment industry experience (ideally as an Investment Consultant, Actuary or Fiduciary Specialist) with the motivation to learn and succeed
- Strong interest in the institutional investment landscape
- Have a keen eye for detail and intellectually ambitious
- Proactivity and be outcome orientated with the ability to work well as part of a team and develop positive working relationships across the organisation
What makes you stand out:
- Experience with defined benefits pensions investments is preferred but experience in other Investment segments will be considered
- Ability to manage multiple projects, stakeholders, and deliverables simultaneously
- Degree level education with CFA / Actuarial qualification is preferred but not essential
- Strong work ethic along with strong interpersonal and communication skills
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information, visit https://www.mercer.com/ Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer
Marsh McLennan is committed to embracing a diverse, inclusive and flexible work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their sex/gender, marital or parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to Apply
To apply to Mercer Investments, please click here
The closing date for applications is 28 May 2023 (extended).
If you have any questions relating to the Mercer Investment Returner Programme, please email TAUK@mmc.com
Mercer is an equal opportunities employer. They are committed to providing reasonable support to any candidate with a disability/health condition to allow them to fully participate in the recruitment process. They welcome candidates to contact us at TAUK@mmc.com to discuss any specific needs.