Location: UK: London, Leeds or Edinburgh
Opportunity: Supported hiring into permanent role
Start date: ASAP
Apply by: 11 December 2022
*Applications now closed*
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is looking to hire a Lead Financial Specialist to join the Wholesale department within Authorisations. They are open to candidates with a range of different backgrounds: accountancy; financial analysis; prudential risk; data analysis, or regulatory background committed to train in those areas. They welcome applications for this permanent role from all types of candidates, including those returning from a career break. The working environment is flexible, family-friendly and suitable for individuals looking for a purposeful employer.
A successful candidate who has taken a career break of 18 months or more will receive coaching support through the transition period from Women Returners. During your career break you may have been working on a small-scale basis to fit around your other commitments or have not carried out any paid work for a number of years.
About the role
The successful applicant will work collaboratively within a team of 8 specialists providing accounting, financial analysis, prudential and data analysis expertise to colleagues across the Authorisations division. Authorising firms and individuals is an integral part of the FCA’s regulation of firms. Authorisations aims to ensure that firms and individuals understand and attain the FCA’s conduct and prudential standards in respect of their objectives of customer protection, market integrity and competition.
Key responsibilities include:
- advising case officers in their assessment of firm’s financials prior to an application being determined through scrutinising applicants financial accounts
- engaging with these firms and colleagues, to communicate assertively and potentially influence them
- forming a view on which risks and harms matter most, and how to mitigate them
What will you get from the role?
The role will provide exposure to both a breadth and a depth of business models and issues. You will also have the opportunity to work with, learn from and influence a wide range of industry professionals, both internally and externally to the FCA.
Working in the Authorisations Division, you will have a rare opportunity to understand and shape the workings of the financial sector at a time of considerable change. You will:
- have the chance to work in a high-profile, fast-paced, and intellectually challenging environment, within a supportive and friendly team and department
- have interesting, challenging and rewarding work, helping the FCA to add public value and deliver its operational objectives
- gain exposure to senior management within the FCA and the financial sector
- be able to build upon you existing skills and knowledge and develop your career
- develop your own expertise of a wide and diversified range of business types, with a role spanning across retail and wholesale markets in financial services
You will enjoy a unique perspective on the financial services industry, with the opportunity to do meaningful work that makes a real difference. You will work in a stretching environment, to grow your expertise at Europe’s largest prudential regulator.
As an Academy business, the FCA places great value on your learning and offers world-class development opportunities which will assist you in achieving your career aspirations. The FCA Academy offers you a range of opportunities for personal and professional development, including their MSC in financial regulation, Advanced Managers programme, sponsored study and more.
As an inclusive employer, the FCA is open to considering flexible working arrangements.
Which skills are required?
- Trained at graduate level in accounting / financial analysis / prudential risk / data analysis (or working towards such a qualification) – both academic and professional qualifications welcome
- Proven work experience in role relating to accounting / financial analysis / prudential risks / data analysis
- The ability to make logical and timely decisions, cutting through complexity and seeing the big picture
- The ability to identify and manage key stakeholders, building rapport and constructive relationships. Ability to make a strong personal impact, persuading with well-reasoned arguments and challenging where appropriate
- Coaching others
- A good team player who demonstrates an inclusive approach and the impact and influence to generate shared goals for the Department
- Ability to influence individuals while maintaining the integrity of messages that may need to be conveyed, ensuring consistency of outcomes
- Some experience of prudential/financial risk management and regulatory frameworks
- Able to prioritise work and to meet deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with some experience of writing reports
About the FCA
The FCA is creating a fair and more resilient financial system. They are establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers. They are currently on an exciting journey as they drive forward significant organisational, people, process, and technology transformation to become a more forward-thinking, proactive regulator. FCA use data more effectively to drive better regulatory decisions and build greater cohesion across their broad financial services remit. Significant improvements in digital enablement, business intelligence, market data and information management maturity will maintain their position as a world leader in financial services regulation.
Salary and benefits
The salary for this role will be:
- London – £56,000 – £80,000 plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension.
- National (Edinburgh and Leeds) – £53,000 – £71,000 plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension.
How to Apply
For more details on the role and to apply, click here
Closing date for applications 11 December 2022 but apply ASAP
CVs will be reviewed W/C 12th December 2022 onwards.
Assessments/Interviews are due to take place from 3rd of January 2023
With any questions, please contact email@example.com