Location: UK: Offices based in London, Glasgow and Dundee but welcome applications for remote working
Opportunity: 6-month returnship programme
Starts: Varies by role
Apply by: Varies by role
DC Thomson recognises that returning to the workplace can be a challenging time and is delighted to be partnering with Women Returners for a second year to launch its new six-month rolling returnship programme. The programme is offering opportunities throughout the year so if the current roles are not a good fit for your skills and experience, please do check on the programme advert regularly. The company is committed to supporting you at every stage of your journey, making the transition back into work as seamless as possible.
Why DC Thomson?
DC Thomson is one of the leading media organisations in the UK, with a community of 1,600 colleagues with different strengths, experiences and perspectives, united by a shared goal of building brands that inform, entertain and delight audiences across the globe.
People and communities are at the heart of everything DC Thomson does: the colleague communities, the communities they live and work in and the communities it builds around its brands.
About the Programme
The programme offers a professionally-paid, six-month placement with the strong likelihood of permanent employment at the end of the programme. During your time on the programme, you’ll be leveraging your previous skills and experience to undertake a role in the business. You’ll also be fully supported with:
- Career returners coaching programme delivered by Women Returners
- A ready-made peer support group with the opportunity to meet with other returners
- A mentor to help you navigate your return, DC Thomson has in place a hugely well-respected mentorship scheme that you will be part of
- A learning-led culture where colleagues are given the support to enhance their careers
- A buddy to ask your day-to-day questions
The programme’s commitment to you is ensuring you have a supported and valuable experience.
The company supports flexible working where possible to allow colleagues to balance home and working lives. It is happy to talk flexible working at interview.
In 2022, 3 returners joined DC Thomson’s Pathway Programme and all 3 were offered permanent roles at the end of the programme. You can read about xxxx return to work with DC Thomson here.
Current Opportunities on the Programme
Principal Software Engineer
As part of the Engineering community, you will collaborate with teams and skill sets from across the organisation. You will be involved in the inception and continuance of a series of products and play a significant role in underpinning the largest digital transformation in the company’s history. The role enables you to work across varying disciplines and experience levels to mentor and collaborate while creating and maintaining high-quality web based applications. Fostering a working environment that enables continuous learning and high velocity decision making is important at DC Thomson, they develop through practise and experimentation, and you will play a key role in modelling that approach whilst also taking advantage of industry standard training services that will support your experiences. The part you play in this culture will see you add value to the delivery of software solutions to DC Thomson customers, not only through your participation in the design and implementation process, but also in the refinement of their software development life cycle. The experience you bring will be invaluable to the continuous improvement of their engineering practises and how they approach problems as an organisation. Within the product space, they will encourage you to work across the entire technology stack, working with common web-based languages such as React, PHP, GraphQL, SQL and WordPress to create rich and engaging products.
What you’ll bring (if you don’t hit everything on this list, they still want to hear from you)
- You’ll have a naturally collaborative approach and have some examples of working across several teams of cross functional professionals delivering value in an Agile environment.
- You’ll love getting under the hood of a complex problem and will have designed some solutions in a high velocity, iterative software development lifecycle.
- Continuous learning is key at DC Thomson, you will be passionate about your own learning and always be looking for ways to learn more. Whether that’s learning from those around you or whether there’s a specific certification you want to go for.
- As well as your own learning you will recognise the importance of sharing knowledge throughout the company communities. You will mentor colleagues in appropriate software development techniques and assist with their development.
- You’ll know your stuff when it comes to prioritisation of projects within pragmatic timescales and be able to influence the technical requirements and prioritise projects accountable for the delivery of robust solutions.
- A natural innovator of Engineering Practises you will love to experiment with new technologies and processes & guide the creation and preservation of highly intuitive software projects
- Most importantly you’ll embrace and maintain our inclusive, dependable and compassionate Engineering Culture
The experience you’ll bring with you.
- You’ll be passionate about code quality concepts and improvement of developer experience
- You’ll be able to demonstrate experience of participating in the creation of applications by following good software practises.
- You’ll be able to talk through examples of previous innovative decisions that impacted the delivery of projects and how you have documented and describe software solutions to a variety of audiences
- You’ll have designed modular systems with clear contracts between components.
- You will love a difficult problem and have excellent problem-solving skills you’ll also be able to communicate the solution to the problem and flex your approach depending on the audience.
- You’ll have some relevant Certifications and Training which you’ll be able to talk us through
- You’ll have worked in a role which has seen you be accountable for some high impact elements.
Eligibility for the Programme
DC Thomson is looking for returners who are looking to get back into work after a break of at least 18 months. During your career break you may have been volunteering or working on a smaller-scale or may not have been in any paid employment for some time.
You must have the right to work in the UK to apply.
How to Apply
To apply for the DC Thomson Pathways Programme, please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the role you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions and one of the team will be able to help.
The closing date for applications is xxxx.