UK Returner Programmes
Our Market Data
UK Returner Programme Market Data Compilation
We aim to collect statistical data on the number of UK returnships (paid professional internships of 3-6 months for returning professionals) and Supported Hiring Programmes* (structured programmes for multiple career returners starting in permanent roles with transition support). If you quote this data, please reference Women Returners Estimates as the source and read the notes below.
UK Returnships: Number of Programmes and Employers
- In 2021 we recorded 35 returnships, across 50 employers
- In 2020 we recorded 28 returnships, across 32 employers
- In 2019 we recorded 53 returnships, across 83 employers
- In 2018 we recorded 44 returnships, across 64 employers
- In 2017 we recorded 36 returnships, across 36 employers
- In 2016 we recorded 22 returnships, across 22 employers
- In 2015 we recorded 9 returnships, across 9 employers
- In 2014, we recorded 3 returnships, across 3 employers
UK Supported Hiring* Returner Programmes: Number of Programmes and Employers
- In 2021 we recorded 11 supported hiring programmes, with 14 employers
- In 2020 we recorded 11 supported hiring programmes, with 11 employers
- In 2019 we recorded 17 supported hiring programmes, with 17 employers
- In 2018 we recorded 11 supported hiring programme, with 11 employers
- In 2017 we recorded 6 supported hiring programmes, with 6 employers
- In 2016 we recorded 1 supported hiring programme, with 1 employer
- In 2015 we recorded 1 supported hiring programme, with 1 employer
* Supported Hiring is a term developed by Women Returners in 2015
- This data is based solely on advertised programmes which we are aware of, and does not include individual jobs advertised to returners with support. Therefore it is an understatement of the market size.
- Numbers relate to opportunities advertised rather than confirmed returner hiring.
- If companies run more than one programme in a year, they only are included once in the data.
- Numbers do not include supported hiring for a one-off role.
- Since 2018, there has been an increase in cross-company returnship programmes, and there is one cross-company supported hiring programme in 2021, which is why the employer number is higher than the returnships number.