Location: UK-wide: Birmingham, Bootle, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Norwich, Reading and Sheffield
Opportunity: 6-month returnship
Start Date: October 2022
Apply by: 6 June 2022
* Applications are now closed *
The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) is partnering with Women Returners to launch its first ‘Welcome Back!’ Career Returners Programme. Through this programme, GIAA aims to support people with internal audit and/or accountancy experience, who have been on a career break for 18 months or more, to flexibly re-start their careers and to develop their skills and experience in a supportive and go-ahead environment.
The Welcome Back! Programme is now open for applications.
What you can expect from the Welcome Back! Programme?
- A 6-month paid employment opportunity.
- Specialised Career Returners Coaching from Women Returners to support your return to the workplace.
- A GIAA mentor and a coaching buddy to support you to learn the ropes.
- A programme of networking and learning opportunities with leaders from GIAA.
- Access to a curated suite of training and learning opportunities.
- An opportunity to revamp your skills, update your CV with new experience and grow your network both in GIAA and the wider Civil Service.
- A strong possibility of a permanent role when you reach the end of the Welcome Back! programme.
Under GIAA’s hybrid working proposals there is an expectation you would work with your manager and mentor at one of the office locations a minimum of 40% of your time (although all flexible working arrangements will be considered). GIAA operates a hybrid working policy that blends office-based working and working from home. The Agency has a modern, dynamic working environment that can accommodate full-time and part-time working, term-time working, condensed and flexible working hours. All flexible working requests are considered on a case-by-case basis with your line manager.
Who is the GIAA looking for?
You will be an experienced professional who has had a career break of 18 months or more (as of May 2022). You may have been working small-scale around your other commitments or you may not have done any paid work at all during this period.
You will be interested in joining a values-led, public sector organisation and kick-starting the next chapter of your career.
GIAA is open to candidates with a broad range of background skills and qualifications. You will:
- have internal audit experience and hold an CMIIA qualification or
- have accountancy experience and be a qualified member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA)
- In addition GIAA’s Specialism Team is looking for candidates with specialist experience and qualifications including CIPS (for commercial audit), APM (for project and programme management) and CISA/ISACA qualifications (for digital data and technology).
Please apply if your membership of a recognised Professional body has lapsed because the GIAA would still like to hear from you if you hold the correct qualification and have the relevant skills/experience.
You will also need to have the right to work in the UK and to meet the UK Civil Service eligibility criteria and ‘right to work’ rules, including a Disclosure and Barring Service identity and screening check.
What is the GIAA?
The Government Internal Audit Agency is an executive agency of Her Majesty’s Treasury. GIAA leads the Internal Audit Profession and Function for the Government and provides internal audit assurance for 13 Government departments and over 120 arm’s length bodies.
The Agency really values its people, the majority of whom are qualified internal audit or finance professionals. GIAA’s investment in its people means it is able to offer its Government customers a high-quality service that is based on a strong understanding of their business needs.
GIAA is a great place to work, supporting its people to provide objective insight so that central Government can achieve better outcomes and value for money for the public – better insights, better outcomes. The Agency has a strong focus on building the culture, capability and capacity to make even more of a significant contribution to achieving A Brilliant Civil Service over the coming years.
How to apply for the Programme?
To apply for the Welcome Back! Programme, click on this link:
The application deadline for the returnship is 6 June 2022.
Interviews will be held from mid June to early July 2022.
With any questions, please email GIAARecruitment@giaa.gov.uk mentioning ‘Welcome Back Programme Enquiry” in the subject line.